Thursday, January 18, 2007

ACEO Tiki card


My wife and I were looking to sell her watercolor paiting she'd done up on eBay..so I did some research as to how much I should start the bidding at. I came across all these paintings with ACEO in their titles. "I wonder what that's about?" I asked myself. After Googleing ACEO I checked Wikipedia and found that they were:
"Artist trading cards, also known as ATCs, are small or 2 ½ x 3 ½ inch (64 x 89 mm) miniature works of art which artists trade with one another, similar to the way people trade sports cards. ATCs as a collectibles movement is a relatively new art phenomenon, although it evolved coincidentally over generations from several artists movements, generically. There is no one initiating or trademarking ATC creator.
Cards can be in any media: textile arts, pencil, watercolor, acrylic, oil, collage, scratch board, mixed media - anything creative artists use. Artist Trading Cards are produced as single originals, in a series, or a limited editions.
Among certain art and crafts movements, ATCs are about exchanging art without exchanging money, and without interference of the business side of the art world. Artists trade their cards in face-to-face trading sessions as well as via mail. Artists who trade by mail often make their arrangements online and/or through e-mail. In some artists' opinions, trading cards by mail is a diminished experience when compared to an ATC trading session. Other artists insist on sending their cards open, through the mail, causing higher collectible value for their officiated stamp mark."
So here is my first attempt at it. I haven't watercolored in a while so it was a slow going. I may or may not put this one up for sale. I've even got my daughter doing stuff in the ACEO size. I'll post some of her art when she gets a few more done.

No comments: